Receive the latest news, updates and prayer requests from the persecuted church direct to your inbox.
Ethiopia: Christian worker attacked with machetes
01 August 2017
Please pray for an Ethiopian Christian attacked with machetes on account of his evangelistic work.
Mustafa Ahmed* (27) was attacked by a mob on 16 July in the rural Ethiopian town of Hirna, about 400 km east of Addis Ababa.
The attack took place because local Muslims were angry over his evangelism efforts. Local Christians report that an unknown number of assailants first went to the local Full Gospel Church and partly damaged its roof and walls. They then went to Mustafa's house where they attacked him with machetes. He sustained two deep wounds to the back of his head.
The local clinic in Hirna referred him to the hospital in nearby Asebeteferi. Doctors there sent him to Adama where a Christian doctor took a risk to operate on his wounds, believing Mustafa would otherwise die on route to a bigger hospital. The surgery stabilised him enough to be taken for more specialised treatment elsewhere. But he is not out of the woods yet, and local Christians ask for prayer.
Open Doors' local partners are providing emotional and financial support at the moment.
*Name changed for security reasons
Source: Open Doors
- For Mustafa's recovery from his wounds
- For wisdom for church leaders in this difficult situation.
- That the Lord will open the eyes of government officials to protect their citizens, irrespective of religious affiliation.
More News from Ethiopia:
- Church attacked, then closed down and member arrested
- Freed Christians no longer need to pay compensation
- New law threatens church freedom
- Widow and son lose almost everything; Freed prisoners say 'Thank you'
- Three men falsely accused of arson have been freed!
Find out more about persecution in Ethiopia.