Send vital aid to displaced families in Syria and Iraq – and enable them to return when it's safe.
Receive the latest news, updates and prayer requests from the persecuted church direct to your inbox.
Libya: 'We are proud of them' - brother of Egyptian martyr
17 February 2015
The brother of one of the Egyptian Christians who were martyred in Libya has said: "We are proud of them." On Sunday 15 February a group linked to the self-proclaimed Islamic State issued a horrific video showing the beheading of the 21 Christians.
"We had a hope that they would be released," the brother said on Monday, a day after the news was released. "But the will of God was [for them] to be martyrs of Christ, and that is better than life. They were martyred in the name of Jesus Christ. They kept the faith until the last moment. They didn't deny the name of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. We are proud of them."
Egyptian Christians gathered in churches to pray for the families of the victims. In Minya in Upper Egypt, the area where the murdered Christians came from, a memorial service was held.
Pope Francis has said: "The blood of our Christian brothers and sisters is a testimony which cries out to be heard... It makes no difference whether they be Catholics, Orthodox, Copts or Protestants. They are Christians! Their blood is one and the same. Their blood confesses Christ."
- For protection and strength for Christians in Libya, particularly for the tens of thousands of migrant workers, forced by their poverty to seek work in this dangerous country
- For the militants committing these atrocities, that the Lord might speak to their hearts and change them.
More News from Libya:
- Christian woman in fear for her life
- IS kidnaps 86 Eritrean Christians
- Islamic State capture more African migrants
- IS kill 30 Christians, destroy churches
- 21 Egyptian Christians brutally executed
Find out more about persecution in Libya.