Send vital aid to displaced families in Syria and Iraq - and enable them to return when it's safe.
Receive the latest news, updates and prayer requests from the persecuted church direct to your inbox.
Nigeria: Boko Haram claims schoolgirls refused to leave; Girl (14) abducted for suicide mission
18 May 2017
Following the fantastic news that 82 Chibok girls abducted by Boko Haram had been released, a video released by the militant group claims that some of the girls chose not to be selected for freedom. Instead, they preferred to remain with the militants.
In the three-minute video, a girl dressed in a veil and holding a gun says she is Maida Yakubu, one of 276 schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram in April 2014, reports Al Jazeera. Three other girls in veils sit behind her.
When asked by a man in the background why she doesn't want to go back home to her parents, she replies: "The reason is that they live in the town of unbelief. We want them to accept Islam."
Presidential spokesman, Garba Shehu, disclosed after the 82 were released that one girl had refused to leave. She declined to be part of the release deal because she had married a Boko Haram fighter, Shehu said.
Boko Haram released a second video on the same day claiming to show five commanders that the Nigerian government freed in exchange for the 82.
Meanwhile, a week after their release, 81 of the 82 girls have still not met their families.
The only relative allowed to meet them was Yakubu Nkeki, chairman for the Chibok parents' group and a primary school teacher who taught many of the girls, according to the Guardian. He spent three hours with his niece, Maimuna Usman, 20, and the other 81 in Abuja, the Nigerian capital, where they have been kept since their unexpected release on Sunday 7 May.
Girl, 14, abducted by Boko Haram for suicide mission
A 14-year-old girl arrested on suspicion of being on a suicide mission in northern Nigeria says she was chosen because she refused to marry Boko Haram fighters.
One of three suspects arrested at a military facility, the girl said that a week after she had refused her third proposal she was restrained and drugged, before being prepared for her mission with a man and another woman.
"We spent one and a half days on the road to Maiduguri. It was when we got to Maiduguri that they strapped the bombs on our bodies. At that moment, I knew that I was going to die, so I started crying," she said.
"I was watching when the first bomber, a female, detonated her explosive close to a military checkpoint, which killed no one but herself. The second, a male, was killed by the military before he could detonate his. At that time, something told me to remove my own IED and surrender, which I did. I was surrounded by soldiers and policemen and I fainted."
The woman is currently undergoing de-radicalisation at a military detention facility, according to Lucky Irabor, Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole (the Nigerian army's effort to end the Boko Haram insurgency).
Source: World Watch Monitor
- For women and girls vulnerable to manipulation by Boko Haram, the God's righteous hand would guide them
- That the Chibok girls still in Boko Haram captivity would soon be freed
- That the 14-year-old girl would receive the healing and support she needs.
More News from Nigeria:
- Joy as Chibok girls reunited with their families
- 82 Chibok girls released - including Grace
- 12 killed in Easter Sunday attack
- Over 200 Chibok girls still missing three years after abduction
- Ten new medical clinics bring life-saving care to Christians
Find out more about persecution in Nigeria.