Send vital aid to displaced families in Syria and Iraq – and enable them to return when it's safe.
Receive the latest news, updates and prayer requests from the persecuted church direct to your inbox.
Syria: Watch Pastor Edward on BBC Breakfast on Christmas Day
23 December 2016
Technology permitting, Pastor Edward, an Open Doors local partner from Damascus, Syria, will be speaking on BBC Breakfast this Christmas Day at 6.20am about what this Christmas holds for him and his congregation in Syria.
Pastor Edward and his wife Rana work tirelessly to help internally displaced Syrians who rely on the church for vital assistance. They have given winter items to more than 2,000 children from internally displaced families as well as distributing special winter clothing to street children. Their church outreach teams have run special activities and distributed presents to nursing homes and orphanages.
Last Saturday the church had a big event to reach out to displaced people and others in need in Damascus; three choirs sang beautifully for two hours. On the Thursday before Christmas, displaced children had a special party just for themselves - apparently the children enjoyed having some time together without their parents! The following day there was another party for Christmas fun with their families as well.
Pastor Edward's church also has a group for deaf people, and this group had a special celebration. A few days later various members of the group entertained 177 deaf children in their school and performed Christmas sketches for the children. Pastor Edward was also able to explain the Christmas message to 40 teachers and instructors in the school.
On Christmas day, the church adult choir will sing in the church Christmas service. Last Saturday saw a big Christmas concert including all church choirs: children, youth and adults.
BRING HOPE TO THE MIDDLE EAST THIS CHRISTMAS
Here are three ways you can support churches like Pastor Edward's as they care for their communities this Christmas:
- Pray. Order a free Pray for ME resource pack to help you lead others in prayer for the church in Iraq and Syria.
- Give. Every £42 can provide an emergency food parcel to feed a family of five in Iraq or Syria for a month.
- Speak out. Sign and share the One Million Voices of Hope petition, which will be presented to the UN Secretary General next year.
- For comfort and provision for the people of Syria this Christmas, particularly for those who are displaced
- For protection and healing for the children of Syria who are living through such trauma, and that they will have hope for the future
- That God will continue to work through Pastor Edward and other church leaders and aid workers as they support displaced families
- For a peace in Syria.
More News from Syria:
- Injured believers find work in furniture factory
- Families return home with your support
- Bringing hope to children as conflict reaches six years
- Islamic State captive finds God moments before execution
- 'All are welcome!' Join Syria's Christians in prayer this month
Find out more about persecution in Syria.