As persecution increases, your family needs your support to keep faith and hope alive
- Leader: President Abdelaziz Bouteflika
- Population: 41.1 million (37,700 Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam
- Government: Republic
- World Watch List Rank: 36
- Source of Persecution: Islamic extremism/ Dictatorial paranoia
The family is the source of greatest pressure for Christians in Algeria, most of whom are from Muslim backgrounds.
The next strongest pressure comes from the law. Ordinance No. 06-03, introduced in 2006 to prohibit public assembly for purposes of practicing a faith other than Islam has created a more restrictive environment for Christians. This affects most Christian places of worship, except for Catholic churches and one Protestant church. In addition, Islamist movements such as al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) are increasingly making their presence felt.
- That the government will be more open towards Christians and will acknowledge their rights as lawful citizens
- For protection for Christians who are persecuted by their Muslim background families, ask God to help them forgive
- Give thanks that the Algerian church continues to grow: pray that new believers will grow spiritually.
How we help
In cooperation with local partners and churches, Open Doors is supporting the church in Algeria through:
- Literature distribution
- Socio-economic development projects
- Advocacy support.