As persecution increases, your family needs your support to keep faith and hope alive
- Leader: Prime Minister Najib Razak
- Population: 31.2 million (2.9 million Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam
- Government: Constitutional monarchy
- World Watch List Rank: 31
- Source of Persecution: Islamic extremism, Dictatorial paranoia
Malaysia has recently witnessed a rise in political, social, and religious instability.
The constitution defines ethnic Malays as Muslims. Therefore, Malays do not have religious liberty to leave Islam and those who practise other religions are forbidden from sharing this among Malay Muslims. Increasing intolerance towards Chinese, Indian and indigenous tribespeople is affecting Christians, too, as most believers belong to these minority groups. Christians are discriminated against in both their private and business lives, and conversion to Christianity is against the law in almost all states.
- For unity, encouragement and protection over secret gatherings of new believers
- For strength and courage for new converts who may be kicked out of their homes and sometimes sent to Islamic re-education camps.
- For training and materials to reach new believers who are hungry to learn.
How we help
Open Doors supports persecuted believers in South East Asia through:
- Prayer support
- Advocacy and awareness.