As persecution increases, your family needs your support to keep faith and hope alive
Printable sheet with key facts, figures, information and prayer points. Useful for your church noticeboard or prayer group.
Leader: President Omar al-Bashir
Population: 41.2 million (2 million Christians)
Main Religion: Islam
World Watch List Rank: 8
Source of Persecution: Islamic extremism/Dictatorial paranoia
Islamic law is the foundation of Sudan's legal system, and leaving Islam is punishable by death.
This means that Muslim-background believers must keep their faith completely secret. Those from Christian backgrounds can be more open about their faith but face increasing pressure. Two pastors were arrested and charged with various crimes including conspiracy and espionage, although they were released after pressure from the international community. Twelve Christian girls were arrested by the Morality Police for not abiding by Sharia dress codes, and two churches were demolished by the government.
- For protection for secret believers, and for them to find fellowship with others they can trust
- For churches that have lost their buildings to find ways to keep meeting together
- For courage for believers to stay faithful to Christ in the face of pressure and attack.
Open Doors in Action:
Through partnerships with the local church, Open Doors equips church leaders in Sudan for different aspects of ministry, supports community development, and provides practical assistance to persecuted Christians. This includes:
- Literature distribution projects
- Theological and discipleship training and trauma care training
- Standing Strong Through the Storm training to help believers to stand firm through persecution
- Community development projects.