Send a Christmas message to children in Sri Lanka
Easter Sunday began as a happy morning in Zion Church, Batticaloa. The children in Sunday school ate breakfast together, then sang and celebrated Jesus’ resurrection. One of their teachers asked: “How many of you want to be witnesses for Christ?” Five or six children raised their hands and made their first prayer of commitment. A few minutes later, however, there was chaos as a bomb exploded in the church. Among the 29 believers who died, 14 of them were children.
In addition, 17 children were injured, as well as many more adults. In total, over a hundred children were in church that day. Those that weren’t physically hurt, lost friends and were traumatised by the event.
Since then, Open Doors teams have been working to provide the church and bereaved families with long-term trauma care and counselling, and livelihood support. Sunday school teachers at Zion Church have also been faithfully supporting their children. Could you help by sending a message of encouragement to the children who were traumatised by the blast?
SEND MESSAGES TO THE CHILDREN OF ZION CHURCH
Messages will be delivered around Christmas time so they can be Christmas-themed.
Please send letters and cards addressed to ‘Children of Zion Church’ to Open Doors UK, PO Box 6, Witney, OX29 6WG. Digital messages should be sent with the subject line ‘Children of Zion Church’ to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date is 31 October 2019.
- Do not mention Open Doors in any messages.
- Do not include political, anti-Buddhist, or anti-Islam messages.
- Please be sensitive to the children’s losses and avoid mentioning how good life is in your country.
- Kindly avoid using your full name (first name will do) and do not include proposals or promises to help.
- Many children in Zion Church may not understand English. Most of the believers in Zion Church use the Tamil language. If possible, please use Tamil phrases to make your message easy to understand.
Tamil phrases for you to use:
- My name is - En peyar
- I am praying for you - Nan unkalukkaka jepikkirenṟēṉ
- God loves you - Katavul unnai necikkirar
- You are in my prayers - Ninkal en jepattil irukkirirkalḷ
- Stay strong! - Valuvaka irunkalḷ
- Joshua 1:9 Be strong and courageous; do not be frightened or dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. - Yocuva 1:9 Palamakavum tairiyamakavum irunkal; payappatatirkal, kalankatirkal, enenral ninkal enku cenralum unkal tevanakiya karttar unkalutan irukkirar.
A prayer for children in Sri Lanka
Lord Jesus, please heal Your children. Take the painful memories away. Let them know that You are God and You have them safely in Your care. Amen.
Where is Sri Lanka?
Sri Lanka is an island country in the Indian Ocean, to the south east of Tamil Nadu in southern India. To find out more, order our family-friendly World Watch Map and stickers, or the whole World Watch List Church Pack.
More Children’s Encouragement Campaigns
Find out more about children’s encouragement campaigns for India, Colombia and Central Asia.
Share these campaigns with others, too, by ordering POST IT!