- Leader: Sheikh Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifah
- Population: 1.4 million (186,000 Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam
- Government: Constitutional monarchy
- World Watch List Rank: 48
- Source of Persecution: Islamic extremism/ Dictatorial paranoia
This mainly Shia-Islamic country is relatively tolerant and the constitution provides for religious freedom.
A large number of expatriate Christians work and live in Bahrain and are relatively free to practise their faith in private places of worship, but evangelising Muslims is illegal. However, believers from a Muslim background (BMBs) face pressure from family members, community leaders and government officials. Bahrain is very influenced by the politics of Saudi Arabia, making it likely that Islamic extremism will increase and pressure on Christians will continue.
- For those who have been shunned by their families and communities for choosing to follow Jesus. Pray that they will grow in their knowledge of Christ and become secure in their faith
- That Bahraini Christians will have the wisdom and boldness to reach out to their Muslim family, neighbours and colleagues
- That true religious freedom would increase in Bahrain.
KEEP HOPE ALIVE. PRAY. GIVE. SPEAK OUT.
How we help
Open Doors supports the church in Bahrain by raising prayer and awareness.
LATEST NEWS FROM Bahrain:
There are currently no additional news stories