- Leader: King Sheikh Hamad
- Population: 1.4 million (188,000 Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam
- World Watch List Rank: 48
Although Bahrain’s constitution provides for religious freedom, the state restricts freedom of expression and assembly.
The considerable numbers of expatriate Christians, though free to worship in private, experience high levels of surveillance from government and security services. Believers from a Muslim background face most persecution. Leaving Islam is seen as a betrayal of tribe and family, and the community will put pressure on a convert to return to Islam. It is illegal for Christians to evangelise Muslims.
- That believers from Muslim backgrounds would grow in their knowledge of Christ and would become secure in their faith
- For true religious freedom in Bahrain for all people
- That Christians would have the wisdom and boldness to reach out to their Muslim neighbours, colleagues and family members.
How Open Doors helps
Open Doors supports the church in Bahrain by raising prayer and awareness.
LATEST NEWS FROM Bahrain:
There are currently no additional news stories