- Leader: Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah
- Population: 434,000 (54,800 Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam
- Government: Constitutional Sultanate
- World Watch List Rank: 25
- Source of Persecution: Islamic extremism
As Brunei's sultan encourages Islamisation throughout society, pressure on Christians increases.
The first stage of Sharia (Islamic law) is in effect in Brunei, making it mandatory for all Muslims (including Christian converts) to attend Islamic prayers. A fatwa bans the building or renovating of buildings used for non-Muslim worship, and importing Bibles, evangelising and celebrating Christmas is prohibited. Once implemented, the last two phases of Sharia would be even more restrictive. Christian converts also face pressure from their communities to return to Islam.
- That many Bruneians would choose Christ, despite incentives from the government to encourage people to convert to Islam
- For secret believers trying to hide their faith for fear of persecution, that God would protect them and give them wisdom in how to shine His light
- For strength and wisdom for church leaders in dealing with growing religious restrictions.
KEEP HOPE ALIVE. PRAY. GIVE. SPEAK OUT.
How we help
Open Doors serves persecuted believers in South East Asia through:
- Prayer support
- Persecution advocacy and awareness.
LATEST NEWS FROM Brunei:
There are currently no additional news stories