- Leader: Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah
- Population: 434,000 (54,800 Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam
- Country fact sheet
The Sultan of Brunei is seen as the protector and defender of Islam.
Converting away from Islam is illegal, and if believers from Muslim backgrounds are identified by the security services, they will be threatened to make them recant their new faith. Some Christians and members of other minority groups are denied official citizenship, making them stateless residents and causing them many difficulties. Authorities monitor churches, and their activities are restricted; for example, public celebrations of Christmas have been banned since 2014.
- For wisdom and boldness for Christians in sharing the gospel, despite the restrictions they face
- For comfort and strength for secret believers, and that they will know who to trust
- For help and protection for Muslims who have turned to Christ and now face strict punishment under Sharia (Islamic law).
How Open Doors helps
Open Doors supports persecuted believers in South East Asia through prayer, advocacy and awareness raising.
LATEST NEWS FROM
There are currently no additional news stories