- Leader: President Faustin-Archange Touadera
- Population: 5 million (3.8 million Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam/Christianity (mainly Roman Catholic)
- Country fact sheet
Christians have been displaced, tortured and killed as fighting between various militant factions continues.
The violence that began in 2013 was largely between Seleka, an Islamic extremist group, and anti-Balaka, a group made up of animists and nominal Christians. Christian leaders have condemned the actions of anti-Balaka, meaning that Christians and churches have been attacked by both sides. Although Seleka has mostly been driven from CAR, violent splinter groups remain. Christians from Muslim backgrounds also face pressure from their families and communities.
- Ask God to change the hearts of the violent extremists who are targeting Christians and turn them to Himself
- That persecuted believers will know God’s faithfulness, peace and provision
- For wisdom for pastors as they minister to their church members. Ask the Lord to comfort them so they can comfort others.
How Open Doors helps
Open Doors has been involved with the church in CAR for a number of years. Since 2013 we have been have been supporting the church to provide emotional and physical relief to Christians targeted in the violent uprising by the Islamist rebel group, Seleka. This support includes:
- Training to strengthen believers facing persecution
- Enhanced discipleship training
- Economic empowerment programmes
- Trauma care and social rehabilitation for persecuted believers.