- Leader: President Juan Manuel Santos
- Population: 49 million (46.6 million Christians)
- Main Religion: Christianity (Roman Catholicism)
- Government: Republic
- World Watch List Rank: 50
- Source of Persecution: Organised corruption/ Ethnic antagonism
Although Colombia is a democracy where religious freedom is guaranteed, large areas of the country are controlled by criminal organisations, drug cartels and paramilitary groups.
Christians are seen as a threat to the activities of these organisations as they represent an alternative way to behave in society. Church services are monitored and Christians who speak out against these groups are targeted. In indigenous communities, conversion from traditional beliefs is not tolerated. Christians are excluded from basic social services and even expelled from their communities.
- For Christians who are threatened by criminal and guerrilla groups. Pray that they will stand strong in the face of persecution
- For the Open Doors Children's Centre which provides a place of protection, nurture and education for children whose families have been threatened or displaced
- President Santos and the leader of the FARC rebel group signed a peace accord at the end of 2016, but some opponents say the deal is too lenient on FARC leaders. Pray for healing and reconciliation.
KEEP HOPE ALIVE. PRAY. GIVE. SPEAK OUT.
How we help
Open Doors strengthens the persecuted church in Colombia through:
- Developing biblical materials
- Distributing training materials
- Constructing Christian schools and providing education programmes for indigenous children
- The Open Doors Children's Center, which provides a place of protection for children whose families have been threatened or displaced by guerrillas, as well as those who are at risk of being recruited
- Emergency persecution relief aid.
LATEST NEWS FROM Colombia:
There are currently no additional news stories