- Leader: President Ismael Omar Guelleh
- Population: 911,000 (11,000 Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam
- Government: Republic
- World Watch List Rank: 40
- Source of Persecution: Islamic extremism/ Dictatorial paranoia
Djibouti's fall in rank on this year's list is mainly due to the rise in persecution elsewhere, not a decrease in persecution here.
The paranoid government of the incumbent president seeks to control all aspects of society by stifling freedom of association, freedom of religion and freedom of expression. Believers from a Muslim background in particular face persecution from their families and other community members. As in other East African countries, radical Islam is growing and is a major concern for the government.
- For Christians to be free to express their faith
- For strength for believers to show love towards their persecutors when they are refused jobs and denied community resources
- The growth of radical Islam in neighbouring Somalia affects society in Djibouti too. Pray for wisdom for the government in dealing with the growing threat of radical Islam.
KEEP HOPE ALIVE. PRAY. GIVE. SPEAK OUT.
How we help
Although Christians in this Islamic state in the Horn of Africa are experiencing growing persecution, Open Doors is seeking to encourage and equip believers to continue to share their faith in Christ. Through strategic partnerships, Open Doors is strengthening the local church in Djibouti through:
- Leadership development
- Cross-cultural outreach and discipleship training
- Providing Christian literature
- Training Christians to be prepared for persecution
- Encouraging economic empowerment through skills training and business incentives.
LATEST NEWS FROM Djibouti:
There are currently no additional news stories