- Leader: President Nursultan Nazarbayev
- Population: 18 million (4.6 million Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam
- Country fact sheet
Religious freedom is restricted by legislation and the government is constantly working to increase its control over society.
Members of Protestant churches are seen as followers of an alien sect, who aim to destroy the current political system. Dozens of Christians were arrested in 2017. Church meetings are often disrupted and raided. Unregistered churches are illegal, but churches need 50 citizen sponsors to register. Believers from Muslim backgrounds have been locked up by their families, beaten and exiled from their communities; most keep their faith secret.
- For comfort and strength for those who have been beaten and imprisoned for leaving Islam
- That God will change the hearts of government authorities who seek to suppress or eradicate Christianity
- For protection and peace for Christian leaders who are under surveillance.
How Open Doors helps
Open Doors provides immediate aid to Central Asian believers when they are placed in prison, excluded them from families and communities, and deprived of livelihood and employment because of their faith in Christ. We also strengthen the persecuted church in Central Asia through:
- Literature distribution
- Training (biblical training, children/youth training, advocacy and awareness training, vocational training)
- Women's ministry
- Income-generating projects
- Relief ministry.
LATEST NEWS FROM
There are currently no additional news stories