- Leader: President Abdulla Yameen
- Population: 376,000 (A few thousand Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam
- Government: Islamic republic
- World Watch List Rank: 13
- Source of Persecution: Islamic extremism
The leaders of the Maldives claim that their citizens are 100 per cent Muslim, and take pride in that fact.
Migrant Christians are closely monitored and their meetings are restricted, while Maldivian Christians must keep their faith completely secret. Converting to another religion means losing your citizenship, and being found to own a Bible could result in a prison sentence. Some Maldivian Christians have been forced to move abroad to escape persecution.
- That God would enable secret believers to meet together safely and have access to the Bible
- For Maldivian people to have dreams and visions of Jesus, and be led to believers who will be bold enough to share the gospel with them
- Discipleship is a challenge because of security issues - pray that Maldivian Christians would grow in their faith.
KEEP HOPE ALIVE. PRAY. GIVE. SPEAK OUT.
How we help
Open Doors is dedicated to supporting persecuted Christians in South East Asia through the following:
- Advocacy and awareness
- Prayer support.
LATEST NEWS FROM Maldives:
There are currently no additional news stories