- Leader: President Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz
- Population: 4.3 million (10,000 Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam
- Country fact sheet
Radical Islamic preachers and groups fuel antagonism and hatred towards non-Muslims.
As well as carrying out acts of violence, they incite demonstrations demanding investigations into Christians for alleged offences against Islam. The privileged classes vigorously oppose Christianity which is vocal against the caste system. Any expression of faith by migrant Christians carries the risk of prosecution; under the laws of the country, evangelism of Muslims is criminalised. Converts from Islam in rural areas are the most vulnerable to persecution from their local communities.
- For illiterate believers —many of them women—as they seek God with limited access to His word
- For new business initiatives that aim to help believers financially and disciple them at the same time
- For reconciliation in a divided country and that the unjust social structures would be undone.
How Open Doors helps
Open Doors supports the church in North Africa by providing:
- Literature distribution
- Socio-economic development
- Advocacy support.
LATEST NEWS FROM Mauritania:
There are currently no additional news stories