- Leader: President Mohamed Ould Abdelaziz
- Population: 4.26 million (5,000 Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam
- Government: Islamic Republic
- World Watch List Rank: 47
- Source of Persecution: Islamic extremism
Mauritania has been under military rule for over 30 years. The current government is desperate to hold onto power and tries to shore up its legitimacy among Islamic groups by persecuting Christians.
Non-Muslims experience intimidation and persecution by Islamic groups. Believers from a Muslim background face pressure not only from their family and the government, but their conversion can also bring shame on their tribal/ethnic group, leading to wider persecution. As a result, most BMBs keep their faith a secret.
- For illiterate believers - many of them women - as they seek God with limited access to His word. Pray for creative ways for them to access God's truth
- For racial reconciliation in a very ethnically divided country at a tense time in history
- Mauritania is one of the poorest countries in the world. Ask God to bless new business initiatives aimed at supporting believers financially and helping them grow spiritually through their work.
KEEP HOPE ALIVE. PRAY. GIVE. SPEAK OUT.
How we help
Open Doors supports the church in North Africa by providing:
- Literature distribution
- Socio-economic development
- Advocacy support.
LATEST NEWS FROM Mauritania:
There are currently no additional news stories