- Leader: President Htin Kyaw
- Population: 54.8 million (4.4 million Christians)
- Main Religion: Buddhism
- Country fact sheet
Radical Buddhist movements Ma Ba Tha and 969 continue to ‘protect’ Buddhism as the country’s national religion.
These movements were banned, but have found ways to continue. Even in predominantly Christian states, well-established historical churches are being attacked. Strong Buddhist, Muslim and tribal families see conversion to Christianity as a betrayal of the family and community. More than 100,000 Christians living in displacement camps are being denied access to food and healthcare.
- For persecuted Christian minorities, that they would lovingly minister to persecuted Rohingya Muslims, and that many hearts would be opened to the truth of Christ
- For courage and endurance for believers from Buddhist and Muslim backgrounds
- Recently introduced laws have made conversion very complicated, although it is not forbidden. Pray for increased religious freedom.
How Open Doors helps
Through local partners and churches, Open Doors strengthens persecuted believers in Myanmar through:
- Literature distribution
- Discipleship programmes
- Pastoral and leadership training
- Livelihood support
- Family and marriage enrichment programmes
- Children and Youth training
- Preparing the church to face persecution.
LATEST NEWS FROM
There are currently no additional news stories