- Leader: President Beji Caid Essebsi
- Population: 11.5 million (23,800 Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam
- Country fact sheet
All Tunisians are registered as Muslims, and those who decide to become Christians face persecution from militant Islamic groups, the government, and even their families and friends.
Christians have been arrested, beaten and evicted by their families. One 23-year-old Christian from a Muslim background was unable to marry her Christian fiancé as she is still considered a Muslim, and it is illegal for Muslims to marry non-Muslims. No new church has been granted registration since 1956.
- For comfort and strength for Christian youth who are rejected for their faith and face pressure from non-believing family members
- The church here is very young. Pray for those training a new generation of leaders to shepherd the growing church
- That the Lord will hinder the plans of Muslim extremists, and turn them to Himself.
How Open Doors helps
In cooperation with local partners and churches, Open Doors is supporting the church in Tunisia through:
- Literature distribution
- Socio-economic development projects
- Advocacy support.