- Leader: President Recep Tayyip Erdogan
- Population: 80.4 million (190,000 Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam
- Country fact sheet
Leaving Islam is seen as a betrayal of Turkish identity.
Some believers from Muslim backgrounds keep their faith a secret and are too afraid to meet with other Christians because of pressure from their families and communities. Religion is recorded on ID cards, and can be difficult to change. If believers change their religion to ‘Christian’ on their ID cards, it is easy for employers to discriminate against them. However, if they don’t, their children will automatically be registered as Muslim and expected to attend Islamic classes.
- For believers from Muslim backgrounds to minister graciously and wisely to their families
- For strength and encouragement for those who are treated as traitors after embracing the Christian faith
- For hope for all who are experiencing persecution, and that they will be able to put their trust in God.
How Open Doors helps
Open Doors raises prayer support for persecuted believers in Turkey.