- Leader: President Berdymukhamedov
- Population: 5.5 million (69,900 Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam
- Government: One-party state
- World Watch List Rank: 19
- Source of Persecution: Dictatorial paranoia/ Islamic extremism
Turkmenistan is one of the world's most restrictive countries, and pressure on Christians is extremely high.
Providing the country's 'spiritual guidance', President Berdymukhamedov and his government wield control over religious institutions. Registering churches is nearly impossible, but not doing so results in raids, threats, arrests and fines. Even historical Orthodox churches are monitored. Importing or printing Christian materials is very restricted - literature is often confiscated. But believers from Muslim backgrounds experience the greatest persecution, from both their communities and families.
- For protection and endurance for believers rejected by their families and friends because of their faith. Pray that they would know that God is with them
- That security forces who are monitoring Christians will encounter the gospel. Pray that their hearts will be transformed by God's love
- For increased religious freedom in the country.
KEEP HOPE ALIVE. PRAY. GIVE. SPEAK OUT.
How we help
Open Doors provides immediate aid to Central Asian believers when they are placed in prison, excluded them from families and communities, and deprived of livelihood and employment because of their faith in Christ. We also strengthen the persecuted church in Central Asia through:
- Literature distribution
- Training (biblical training, children/youth training, advocacy and awareness training, vocational training)
- Women's ministry
- Medical ministry
- Relief ministry
- Social-economic development projects.
LATEST NEWS FROM Turkmenistan:
There are currently no additional news stories