- Leader: President Kurbanguly Berdymukhamedov
- Population: 5.5 million (70,000 Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam
- Country fact sheet
Police, secret services and local authorities are implementing new laws, placing tighter control on church life.
Non-registered churches suffer repeatedly from police raids, threats, beatings, arrests and fines. Even Russian Orthodox and Armenian Apostolic services may be monitored. Printing or importing Christian materials is also restricted. The general Islamic culture makes life for converts to Christianity particularly difficult. Believers from a Muslim background bear the brunt of the persecution both at the hands of the state and from family, friends and community.
- For the Lord of life to take away the heavy restrictions on Christians and grant them freedom
- For God’s protection and strength for believers from a Muslim background who are under fierce pressure to return to Islam
- That God will soften the hearts of security forces who are monitoring Christians and transform them into His advocates.
How Open Doors helps
Open Doors provides immediate aid to Central Asian believers when they are placed in prison, excluded them from families and communities, and deprived of livelihood and employment because of their faith in Christ. We also strengthen the persecuted church in Central Asia through:
- Literature distribution
- Training (biblical training, children/youth training, advocacy and awareness training, vocational training)
- Women's ministry
- Medical ministry
- Relief ministry
- Social-economic development projects.
LATEST NEWS FROM
There are currently no additional news stories