- Leader: President Tran Dai Quang
- Population: 95.4 million (8.4 million Christians)
- Main Religion: Buddhism
- Government: Communist state
- World Watch List Rank: 17
- Source of Persecution: Communist oppression/ Ethnic antagonism
Violence against Christians is increasing, yet the church amongst ethnic minorities is growing.
Three Christians were killed, scores were abducted, and 35 churches were attacked in 2016. Buddhist- and animist-background believers experience the strongest persecution, facing pressure from both communities and the authorities. Christian ethnic minorities such as the Montagnards also face fierce opposition. All Christian groups are monitored by the government, registering churches is difficult, and a new law on religion and belief limits religious groups by controlling meetings.
- Ask God to comfort the families and friends of the three believers killed for their faith
- The government is working hard to monitor churches and curb the growth of Christianity. Pray for a loosening of restrictions and increased freedom.
- For family members pressuring their relatives to return to traditional faiths. Pray that they would see Christ through their Christian relatives.
KEEP HOPE ALIVE. PRAY. GIVE. SPEAK OUT.
How we help
Open Doors is supporting the church in Vietnam through:
- Providing Bibles (Children and Tribal Bibles) and other Christian literature
- Biblical training for church workers
- Equipping and training Christian believers, with special emphasis on children, youth and women
- Providing assistance through literacy and socio-economic development
- Providing advocacy and immediate relief to tribal believers.
LATEST NEWS FROM Vietnam:
There are currently no additional news stories