- Leader: President Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi
- Population: 28.1 million (A few thousand Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam
- Government: Islamic republic
- World Watch List Rank: 9
- Source of Persecution: Islamic extremism/ethnic antagonism
The power vacuum created by the civil war has allowed radical Islamist groups such as Islamic State (IS) and al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) to gain significant influence.
Christians have been killed and abducted by Islamic radicals, including 16 people killed in an attack on a Christian care home for the elderly. Yemen is a tribal society and leaving Islam is seen as a betrayal of the tribe - leaving Islam is punishable by death. However, it is reported that many Muslims are turning to Christ.
- IS and AQAP members are able to move freely in Yemen, and actively target and kill Christians. Pray that God will change the hearts of radical Islamists, and protect Christians from attack
- Praise God for the Yemenis who have turned to Christ - ask God to help them grow in faith
- 80 per cent of Yemenis currently rely on aid - pray for provision for them.
KEEP HOPE ALIVE. PRAY. GIVE. SPEAK OUT.
How we help
Open Doors supports the church in Yemen by raising prayer and awareness.
LATEST NEWS FROM Yemen:
There are currently no additional news stories