As persecution increases, your family needs your support to keep faith and hope alive
Printable sheet with key facts, figures, information and prayer points. Useful for your church noticeboard or prayer group.
Leader: Ayatollah Ali Khamenei
Population: 80 million (475,000 Christians)
Main Religion: Islam
Government: Islamic republic
World Watch List Rank: 9
Source of Persecution: Islamic extremism
Converting from Islam is punishable by death for men, and life imprisonment for women, in Iran.
While those considered ethnic Christians, such as Armenians or Assyrians, are allowed to practise their faith amongst themselves, ethnic Persians are defined as Muslim, and any Christian activity in the Persian language (Farsi) is illegal. Underground churches are increasingly monitored, which makes some afraid to attend, and at least 108 Christians were arrested in the last year. Interrogation methods in prison can be harsh and sexually abusive.
- For comfort and strength for the dozens of imprisoned Christians and their families
- For wisdom for Christians to know who to trust, and for protection for secret believers and underground churches
- As Iran begins to have more connections with Western nations, its leaders may try to prevent greater 'Western influence' within the nation by enforcing even stricter controls on religious activity - pray this will not be the case.
Open Doors in Action:
Open Doors supports the church in the Middle East through the following activities:
- Bible and Christian literature distribution
- Training ( eg discipleship training, trauma training)
- Supporting Christian multimedia initiatives for the region