As persecution increases, your family needs your support to keep faith and hope alive
- Leader: King Abdullah II
- Population: 7.9 million (169,000 Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam
- Government: Constitutional monarchy
- World Watch List Rank: 27
- Source of Persecution: Islamic extremism
Jordan has long been one of the Middle East's more liberal countries for religious freedom, but the tide is turning for Christians.
Expat Christians and historical Christian communities are relatively free - as long as they do not evangelise Muslims. But believers from Muslim backgrounds face serious oppression from local authorities, non-Christian religious leaders, even their own families. The large number of Muslim refugees from Syria and Iraq, combined with the rise of radical Islam, is also putting increasing pressure on Christians.
- For protection and healing for Christian converts interrogated by police and abused or abducted by family members
- That the refugee crisis would provide an opportunity for churches to share God's love
- For Muslims to be touched by the love of their Christian neighbours and drawn to Christ.
How we help
In cooperation with local partners and churches, Open Doors is supporting the church in Jordan through:
- Training programmes
- Relief and rehabilitation projects