As persecution increases, your family needs your support to keep faith and hope alive
Printable sheet with key facts, figures, information and prayer points. Useful for your church noticeboard or prayer group.
Leader: President Muhammadu Buhari
Population: 187 million (84 million Christians)
Main Religion: Islam, Christianity
Government: Federal republic
World Watch List Rank: 12
Source of Persecution: Islamic extremism
Christians in northern Nigeria experience the most violent persecution in the world. That's why Open Doors partners have decided to build a new trauma care centre offering professional, long-term support. Find out how your church can help to build this new centre and bring healing and restoration to our persecuted brothers and sisters.
GIVE TO RESTORE HOPE
Across Nigeria, thousands face discrimination, displacement and violent attack, simply for following Jesus. Your support enables Open Doors workers to provide them with the practical and spiritual support they need.
Raise your voice for our persecuted church family in Nigeria. Write to the Nigerian High Commission and ask the Nigerian government to do more for persecuted believers.
Thousands of Christians have been killed or displaced by Islamic extremists in Nigeria.
Militant Islamist group Boko Haram continue to terrorise the north and have declared their own caliphate (Islamic State), although President Buhari's campaign against them has had some success. However, Islamic Hausa-Fulani herdsmen, who frequently carry out cruel attacks on Christian villages in Nigeria's middle belt, are being given grazing land by the government taken from indigenous Christian communities, depriving Christians of their fields and livelihoods.
- For protection for Christians, particularly for women who are in danger of being abducted and forced to marry a Muslim
- For comfort for the thousands of displaced Christians, and wisdom for Open Doors partners as they serve these communities
- In the northern states that are majority Muslim, Christian communities are neglected and often left without clean water, clinics and roads. Pray for provision for them.
Open Doors in Action:
Open Doors partners with the local church to strengthen and equip persecuted believers in northern Nigeria through the following activities:
- Delivery of Bibles, Sunday school materials and other Christian literature
- Training (Leadership and theological training for church leaders, Standing Strong Through the Storm training to strengthen believers facing persecution, discipleship training for new believers)
- Helping children receive a Christian education through children's ministry training, support to teachers and Christian schools, development of school libraries
- Community development projects, eg clinics, community health training, vocational training for farmers and widows, support to orphans, provision of boreholes
- Emergency relief and trauma counselling
- Advocacy and legal support.
- Download our report on persecution in Nigeria
- Presentation of prayer points for Chibok
- Write to the Kura family
- Write to the Elisha family
- Write to Mercy James
- Sanctuary Centre Prayer #Bringbackourgirls
- Creative Prayer for Chibok girls
- Mothering Sunday Prayer 2016