As persecution increases, your family needs your support to keep faith and hope alive
Printable sheet with key facts, figures, information and prayer points. Useful for your church noticeboard or prayer group.
Leader: President Muhammadu Buhari
Population: 187 million (84 million Christians)
Main Religion: Islam, Christianity
Government: Federal republic
World Watch List Rank: 12
Source of Persecution: Islamic extremism
WATCH THE FATHERS' STORIES
In this short film, three of the fathers of the missing Chibok girls talk about the pain of losing their daughters, and say thank you for the support they’ve received from around the world.
GIVE TO RESTORE HOPE
Across Nigeria, thousands face discrimination, displacement and violent attack, simply for following Jesus. Your support enables Open Doors workers to provide them with the practical and spiritual support they need.
Raise your voice for our persecuted church family in Nigeria. Write to the Nigerian High Commission and ask the Nigerian government to do more for persecuted believers.
WRITE TO CHIBOK PARENTS
On April 14 2016 it will be two years since the school girls from Chibok were abducted by Boko Haram militants. Write a message to the heartbroken parents of the abducted Chibok girls to assure them that you have not forgotten them or their daughters.
Thousands of Christians have been killed or displaced by Islamic extremists in Nigeria.
Militant Islamist group Boko Haram continue to terrorise the north and have declared their own caliphate (Islamic State), although President Buhari's campaign against them has had some success. However, Islamic Hausa-Fulani herdsmen, who frequently carry out cruel attacks on Christian villages in Nigeria's middle belt, are being given grazing land by the government taken from indigenous Christian communities, depriving Christians of their fields and livelihoods.
- For protection for Christians, particularly for women who are in danger of being abducted and forced to marry a Muslim
- For comfort for the thousands of displaced Christians, and wisdom for Open Doors partners as they serve these communities
- In the northern states that are majority Muslim, Christian communities are neglected and often left without clean water, clinics and roads. Pray for provision for them.
Open Doors in Action:
Open Doors partners with the local church to strengthen and equip persecuted believers in northern Nigeria through the following activities:
- Delivery of Bibles, Sunday school materials and other Christian literature
- Training (Leadership and theological training for church leaders, Standing Strong Through the Storm training to strengthen believers facing persecution, discipleship training for new believers)
- Helping children receive a Christian education through children's ministry training, support to teachers and Christian schools, development of school libraries
- Community development projects, eg clinics, community health training, vocational training for farmers and widows, support to orphans, provision of boreholes
- Emergency relief and trauma counselling
- Advocacy and legal support.
LISTEN TO DAMARIS' STORY
Damaris was widowed in 2010 when her husband was killed by Boko Haram, leaving her to support her four children alone. Your support and prayers have enabled Open Doors to help Damaris with emergency aid, school fees and support to start a small business. Listen to her share her incredible testimony.
- Download our report on persecution in Nigeria
- Write to Chibok Parents (online)
- Presentation of prayer points for Chibok
- Write to Mercy James
- Sanctuary Centre Prayer #Bringbackourgirls
- Creative Prayer for Chibok girls
- Mothering Sunday Prayer 2016