As persecution increases, your family needs your support to keep faith and hope alive
Printable sheet with key facts, figures, information and prayer points. Useful for your church noticeboard or prayer group.
Leader: Kim Jong-un
Population: 25.3 million (300,000 Christians)
Main Religion: Atheism/traditional beliefs
Government: Communist dictatorship
World Watch List Rank: 1
Source of Persecution: Dictatorial paranoia
North Korea is the most dangerous place in the world to be a Christian for the 14th year in a row.
Christians face arrest, torture, imprisonment and death for daring to believe there is a higher authority than the nation's leader, Kim Jong-un. Many follow Jesus in secret; parents often don't even tell their children about their faith for fear they will be revealed. Thousands of other Christians are trapped in horrific labour camps and isolated closed villages. But despite the risks, North Koreans are still choosing to follow Christ.
- Food is often scarce in North Korea. Pray for provision, and for protection for Open Doors partners who smuggle food and other basics into the country.
- For comfort and strength for those facing the daily horrors of life in labour camps.
- For protection for secret believers, and wisdom for them to know who to trust.
Open Doors in Action:
Open Doors' goal has always been to 'strengthen what remains and is about to die' (Revelation 3:2). This verse is especially relevant to the North Korean Church. Without our support, many Christians would starve to death. Open Doors works to support the church in North Korea by:
- Supplying persecuted believers with emergency relief aid (such as food, medicines, clothes)
- Distributing books and other Christian materials
- Training through radio broadcasting
- Providing training and training materials to North Korean believers in China.
Listen to Hea-Woo's story
Recorded for Premier Radio during a visit to the UK in 2014, Hea-Woo tells firsthand the story of how she survived as a Christian in North Korea's prison camps.
Day 1: Her husband's story
Day 2: Betrayed in China
Day 3: God's voice through the pain
Day 4: Only three days to live
Day 5: A church in the prison camp
- Ten things you didn’t know about North Korea
- Six group studies for home groups, prayer groups, CUs...
- Images from North Korea