As persecution increases, your family needs your support to keep faith and hope alive
Printable sheet with key facts, figures, information and prayer points. Useful for your church noticeboard or prayer group.
Leader: Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif
Population: 192.8 million (3.9 million Christians)
Main Religion: Islam
World Watch List Rank: 6
Source of Persecution: Islamic extremism
Christians experience more violence in Pakistan than almost anywhere else.
The nation's infamous blasphemy laws continue to be abused to settle personal scores, particularly against minorities including Christians. A pregnant woman and her husband were thrown into the kiln where they worked and burned to death after being accused of blasphemy, orphaning their four children. Two churches in Lahore were bombed, killing 25 people and wounding dozens. An estimated 700 Christian girls and women are abducted every year, and often then raped and forcibly married to Muslims.
- For safety for Christians in Pakistan, and for particular protection for women and girls
- For comfort and courage for Christian children, who are often bullied at school and sometimes even banned from using the same water fountain as other students as they will 'defile' the water source
- For strength for Muslim-background believers, who are often physically attacked, rejected by their communities or even cursed using occult practices.
Open Doors in Action:
In cooperation with local churches and other partnering ministries, Open Doors supports the church in Pakistan through:
- Training (eg pastor's training, literacy training and vocational projects)
- Emergency aid to victims of violent persecution
- Women's ministry
- Bible literacy
- Counselling and trauma therapy.