As persecution increases, your family needs your support to keep faith and hope alive
- Leader: President Mohamed Abdullahi Farmajo
- Population: 11.39 million (A few hundred Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam
- Government: Federal republic
- World Watch List Rank: 2
- Source of Persecution: Islamic extremism/Ethnic antagonism
If you are even suspected of being a Christian in Somalia, you could be murdered on the spot.
At least 12 Christians were killed in 2016 when their faith was discovered. The militant Islamist group al-Shabaab has stated publically that it 'wants Somalia free of all Christians', and they are able to persecute Christians with impunity, as Somalia is basically lawless. Somalia is a tribal society, and many tribal leaders see being Somali as being Muslim - leaving Islam is a betrayal of the tribe.
- Praise God that, despite the terrible risks they face, there are men and women in Somalia following Jesus in secret. Pray for their protection - even reading about Christianity on the internet can be dangerous
- That Somali Christians will find ways to be discipled in secret
- Many Muslims in Somalia are seeking God. Ask God to reveal Himself to them.
How we help
Open Doors has been strengthening the church in Somalia through partnership since the 1990s. Our work is focused on finding the few pockets of severely persecuted Christians and supporting them in whatever way is relevant. Open Doors advocates on behalf of the persecuted church in the region through:
- Discipleship support
- Literature distribution
- Advocacy and awareness
- Community development programmes.