Receive the latest news, updates and prayer requests from the persecuted church direct to your inbox.
PRAY FOR NIGERIA
Girls missing. Churches torched. Hundreds killed. Nigeria is in the grip of an almost unimaginable tragedy.
Rev. Samuel Dali, President of the Church of the Brethren in Nigeria, has said, "We want the Church worldwide to recognise that this is not just our problem. It is the problem of the whole body of Christ... Dozens of our churches have already been completely razed down and many pastors killed while others have fled along with their members. If the situation does not stop, there is a real danger of eliminating churches in north-eastern Nigeria."
As the wave of violence shows no sign of abating and Islamist militant group Boko Haram acts with impunity, Nigerian bishops have decided that enough is enough. They are calling on Christians at home and around the world to pray for the church in Nigeria.
Pray For the Nigerian Elections
Elections were due to begin on 14 February, but have been delayed until 28 March. Many Christians are concerned about these elections, both because of continuing Boko Haram violence, and because of the violence against them following previous elections. In 2011, some Muslim youths from northern states were angry when Goodluck Jonathan, a southern Christian, was elected as president, fearing marginalisation from his government. They killed 1,000 people, and 74,000 people were displaced.
This year, the presidential election is between President Goodluck Jonathan and former military ruler Muhammadu Buhari, a Muslim. Members of the National Assembly and State Governors will also be elected.
- The President has executive power and presides as both Head of State and Head of the National Executive. Pray for a president who will bring peace to Nigeria.
- The president's power is checked by the National Assembly, which consists of a Senate and a House of Representatives. Pray for a healthy balance of power between the ruling and opposition parties to ensure the advancement of democracy.
- Gubernational elections will also take place to elect state governors. Pray for state governors who will be faithful to the constitution and put the people of their state before their personal interests.
- For safety for the elections, and for guidance for the government to know how to prevent violence before and after the elections.
- For protection and wisdom for the security services as they attempt to keep the elections safe.
- The entire electoral process is managed by INEC. Pray that God will work through them to ensure free and fair elections, and ask God to provide them with all they need to do this.
- For an end to Boko Haram violence, and for peace in Nigeria.
Find out more about how you can pray for the church in Nigeria.
CREATIVE PRAYER RESOURCES
Here are some resources to help you pray for Nigeria. Please share them with your friends, family, small group and church.
- Create prayer stations, make paper chain girls and pray for the Chibok girls using their names.
- Consult the Nigeria country profile, which includes links to our latest news stories on Nigeria
- Read "Father to the fatherless in Nigeria" in our September magazine
- Read the Nigeria segment of “It’s time to look back” in our November magazine
- Pray for the church in Nigeria