- Leader: President Abdelaziz Bouteflika
- Population: 41 million (68,500 Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam
- Country fact sheet
Blasphemy laws restrict Christians from sharing their faith for fear they may be arrested.
Believers from a Muslim background face pressure from their families and communities, making it difficult to live out their faith. The state adds to this pressure by restricting freedom of religion through legal and administrative bureaucracy. Laws regulate non-Muslim worship and ban conversion from Islam. The pressure and danger faced by Christians is particularly high in the rural and more conservative parts of the country.
- That the government would be more open towards Christians and would acknowledge their rights as lawful citizens
- For protection for Christians who are persecuted by their families, that they would be able to love and forgive those who persecute them
- Praise God that the Algerian church continues to grow despite persecution!
How Open Doors helps
In cooperation with local partners and churches, Open Doors is supporting the church in Algeria through:
- Literature distribution
- Socio-economic development projects
- Advocacy support.
LATEST NEWS FROM
There are currently no additional news stories