- Leader: President Isaias Afewerki
- Population: 5.5 million (2.5 million Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam/Christianity
- Country fact sheet
Africa’s most repressive state views Christians as agents of the West, and arrests, harasses and kills them with impunity.
Christians who live in Muslim areas are made vulnerable by Islamic militancy. Conversion to Christianity is seen as a betrayal of community, family and Islamic faith. Arrests and forced disappearances are common, with more than 300 Christians arrested last year. Many believers are held in miserable conditions, some in shipping containers in scorching temperatures. Thousands have been imprisoned, some for over a decade.
- For Christians incarcerated in horrific conditions, that God’s gracious strength will enable them to reflect Jesus to their captors
- For a change of heart for the President – that he may find true life in Christ
- That those who’ve fled Eritrea due to persecution or war will receive comfort and support.
How Open Doors helps
Since the late 1990s, Open Doors has strengthened believers in Eritrea through strategic partnerships with the local church. Open Doors encourages Christians in the region through:
- Raising awareness and prayer
- Encouraging positive engagement on behalf of the church
- Offering practical assistance to persecuted Christians.