- Leader: President Muhammadu Buhari
- Population: 192 million (89 million Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam, Christianity
- Country fact sheet
Hostility towards Christians, especially in the northern Sharia states, is spread by radical Islamic teaching and practice.
Believers experience discrimination and exclusion, and violence from militant Islamic groups, resulting in the loss of property, land, livelihood, physical injury or death; this is spreading southwards. Corruption has enfeebled the state and made it ill-equipped to protect Christians. Rivalry between ethnic groups and raids by Fulani herdsmen compound the persecution. Converts face rejection from their Muslim families and pressure to recant.
- For God’s protection over believers, especially for Christian women in danger of kidnap and forced marriage to Muslims
- For God’s comfort and strength for the thousands of displaced Christians – and wisdom for Open Doors partners as they serve them
- Ask God to supply the needs of neglected Christian villages that are without water and health care.
How Open Doors helps
Open Doors partners with the local church to strengthen and equip persecuted believers in northern Nigeria through the following activities:
- Training to strengthen believers facing persecution
- Helping children to receive a Christian education
- Providing care and discipleship training for new believers
- Servant leadership and theological training for church leaders
- Community development projects
- Legal assistance
- Emergency relief and trauma counselling.