- Leader: President Abdul Hamid
- Population: 164.8 million (866,000 Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam
- Country fact sheet
Radical Islamic groups, local religious leaders and families put intense pressure on Christians.
They face increased restrictions as more Islamic laws are introduced, especially in rural areas. Converts from a Muslim, Hindu or tribal background suffer the most severe persecution. Christians often gather in small house churches or secret groups due to fear of attack. Even historical churches like the Roman Catholic Church are facing increased hostility, attacks and death threats. Bangladesh has also seen a rise in violence by the so-called Islamic State.
For God to give strength to secret believers to stand firm in their faith, especially those who are mentally and physically abused
For Christians who have been displaced, that God would provide for their physical, emotional and spiritual needs
For Open Doors workers providing assistance and relief to persecuted believers.
How Open Doors helps
Christians in Bangladesh contend with the reality of persecution every day. Open Doors works together with local churches to support persecuted believers through:
- Equipping and training Christian believers, with special emphasis on emerging leadership and believers from a Muslim background
- Providing Bibles (including study Bibles for graduates) and other Christian literature
- Providing assistance through literacy and socio-economic development
- Providing immediate relief to victims of persecution
- Preparing believers to deal with persecution through Standing Strong Through the Storm seminars.
LATEST NEWS FROM
There are currently no additional news stories