- Leader: President Xi Jinping
- Population: 1.4 billion (97.2 million Christians)
- Main Religion: Atheism
- Country fact sheet
If churches get too large or too political, they are seen as a threat and persecuted.
Communist authorities are increasing restrictions on Christians in order to control society and stay in power. House churches are pushed to join the state-controlled Three Self Churches, and new regulations on religion limit freedom. For Christians from a Muslim or a Tibetan Buddhist background, conversion is more than just changing religion, it is betraying a community. They are threatened, attacked and reported to the local authorities.
For strength for believers from Muslim and Buddhist backgrounds who can be forced to divorce and have their children taken away
That Christians will stand strong as religious restrictions are tightened
That government officials who try to control the church will be convicted of the importance of religious freedom.
How Open Doors helps
Open Doors is encouraging the Han Chinese church within China to support the most persecuted Christian groups in China, specifically believers from Muslim and Buddhist backgrounds, notably Tibetan believers. Open Doors supports the church in China through:
- Providing basic biblical and discipleship training to the most persecuted Christian groups, believers from Muslim and Buddhist backgrounds (BMBs and BBBs)
- Distributing contextualised Christian literature to BMBs and BBBs
- Training Chinese Christians in discipleship, stewardship, and preparing to face persecution.
LATEST NEWS FROM
There are currently no additional news stories