- Leader: President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi
- Population: 95 million (9.5 million Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam
- World Watch List Rank: 17
A rise in violent and deadly attacks caused the deaths of 128 Christians last year and left many injured.
So-called Islamic State targets Christians and the government’s low regard for fundamental rights means there is little protection. Muslim-background believers face enormous pressure to recant; official recognition of conversion is almost impossible. Building places of worship is difficult because of administrative restrictions, communal hostility and violence. Church leaders are monitored by the state. Believers, especially women, face discrimination and abuse at work.
- That the God of all peace would comfort and provide for Christians who are ousted from their homes for leaving Islam
- For Christians who have been slighted in social, political and legal affairs to entrust their situation to God
- That even the leaders of Islamist groups would be brought to Christ, ‘the Way, the Truth and the Life’.
How Open Doors helps
In cooperation with local churches and other partnering ministries, Open Doors supports the church in Egypt through:
- Literacy training and education projects
- Youth and family ministry
- Advocacy support
- Medical outreach
- Women's empowerment training and ministry to widows.