- Leader: King Abdullah II
- Population: 7.9 million (129,000 Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam
- Country fact sheet
Christians from Muslim backgrounds face the greatest persecution, but their small numbers are growing.
Open testimony about their new faith can lead to serious opposition from family, tribal and Islamic leaders, including beatings, arrests and killings. Evangelical, Baptist and Pentecostal congregations are reported to be monitored by government officials. Those who are active in evangelism can face threats and obstruction in daily life. Those from Orthodox and Roman Catholic churches, the majority of Christians, have greater freedom but can experience discrimination.
- For Christian converts interrogated by police and abused or abducted by family members – for protection and healing
- That the many refugees in Jordan would have an opportunity to hear the gospel
- For Muslims to be struck by the love of their Christian neighbours and that they would be drawn to Christ.
How Open Doors helps
In cooperation with local partners and churches, Open Doors is supporting the church in Jordan through:
- Training programmes
- Relief and rehabilitation projects
LATEST NEWS FROM
There are currently no additional news stories