- Leader: Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj
- Population: 6.4 million (20,000 Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam
- Government: Provisional government
- World Watch List Rank: 11
- Source of Persecution: Islamic extremism
Of the 20,000 Christians in Libya, it is estimated that just 150 of them are Libyans.
Most are migrants from sub-Saharan Africa. While these believers are allowed to meet together in churches, Libyans are not allowed to attend; Libya is a deeply Islamic nation, as well as a tribal one, and leaving Islam is seen as a betrayal. Libyan Christians must keep their faith secret. All Christians are at risk of attack by radical Islamists such as the Islamic State.
- With the country in a state of anarchy, Islamic radicals are able to attack Christians with impunity. Ask God to change the hearts of these militants, and protect Christians in Libya
- Although there aren't many, the number of Libyan believers from Muslim backgrounds is growing. Pray they will grow in faith and find fellowship with others
- Pray that many would hear the gospel through the internet and social media and choose to follow Jesus.
KEEP HOPE ALIVE. PRAY. GIVE. SPEAK OUT.
How we help
In cooperation with local partners and churches, Open Doors is supporting the church in Libya through:
- Literature distribution
- Socio-economic development projects
LATEST NEWS FROM Libya:
There are currently no additional news stories