- Leader: Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj
- Population: 6.4 million (42,000 Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam
- Country fact sheet
The small minority of Christians consists of indigenous believers from a Muslim background and migrants from sub-Saharan Africa seeking work or entry to Europe.
The first group face violent and intense pressure to renounce their faith. The state of anarchy and civil war has allowed organised criminal groups to engage in human trafficking and Islamist militant groups to attack Christians with impunity. Christian migrants also experience intolerance and racial prejudice from society. Believers who share their faith publicly risk arrest and violence.
- Give thanks for Arabic satellite and web broadcasts that broadcast the gospel – pray that many will receive God’s love
- That God will build up the faith of isolated believers, His growing church, and those scattered through Europe because of persecution
- That God would confound and disrupt the plans of Islamic State, showing His mercy and sovereignty to all.
How Open Doors helps
In cooperation with local partners and churches, Open Doors is supporting the church in Libya through:
- Literature distribution
- Socio-economic development projects
LATEST NEWS FROM
There are currently no additional news stories