- Leader: President Enrique Pena Nieto
- Population: 130.2 million (124.9 million Christians)
- Main Religion: Christianity (mainly Roman Catholic)
- Country fact sheet
Corruption at all levels of government has led to an increase in persecution.
The most violent attacks occur when Christians are considered a threat to organised crime. Many pastors face intimidation and death threats – with the aim of silencing their ministries. Secular ideology has also become more dominant in society as movements try to eliminate religious expression from the public domain. Christian converts in indigenous communities are punished for leaving tribal customs and expelled from their homes, while non-traditional Protestant denominations are discriminated against.
Open Doors supports the persecuted church in Mexico through advocacy to address the root causes of persecution, and mobilising the Mexican church to support persecuted Christians.
- For those in drug cartels who kidnap, terrorise and kill Christians – that they would discover the love of Jesus
- For God’s provision and grace for Christians who are denied access to basic social services and resources
- For physical protection for persecuted believers in one of the most violent countries in the world.
How Open Doors helps
Open Doors works to strengthen the persecuted church in Mexico through:
- Quality research and communication that raises awareness about the persecuted church
- Effective advocacy to address the root causes of persecution at the local, federal and regional levels
- Projects that increase the resilience of the church to cope with persecution
- Engaging and equipping the Mexican church to reach out to persecuted Christians in Mexico.
LATEST NEWS FROM
There are currently no additional news stories