- Leader: President Bashar al-Assad
- Population: 19 million (794,000 Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam
- Country fact sheet
BRING HOPE TO THE MIDDLE EAST
Speak out to our government in advocacy and to God in prayer on behalf of our church family in the Middle East.
RAISE YOUR VOICE
Militant Islamic groups are a clear threat to all Christians in Syria.
In areas controlled by radical Islamic groups, most historic churches are demolished or used as Islamic centres. The amount of opposition a church receives can depend on its political reputation. Church leaders, particularly, are targeted for abduction. Government authorities restrict the activities of evangelical Christians and converts to prevent instability. Christians from a Muslim background face pressure from their families to recant, as their conversion brings shame on the family.
- That God will guide those involved in peace negotiations towards positive agreement and that good decisions will be made for the future of the country
- That displaced Christians will be encouraged by the provision of relief aid from their brothers and sisters in Christ
- For God to rejuvenate their faith through pastoral care and biblical teaching.
How Open Doors helps
Through local church partnerships, Open Doors is strengthening the church to take advantage of the many opportunities for ministry, even in the ongoing crisis situation. This includes:
- Partnering with the local church to care for and provide relief aid to tens of thousands of displaced Christians, and starting all kinds of rehab programmes for them
- Distributing Bibles, Study Bibles, Children's Bibles, New Testaments and Christian books
- Providing discipleship and leadership training for church leaders and youth leaders
- Trauma counselling and debriefing
- Building bridges between Christian denominations by sponsoring conferences to which all denominations are invited.