OPEN DOORS MAGAZINE - July 2018
In this month’s magazine we meet the secret believers in the Horn of Africa and the courageous Open Doors partners who are bringing them the support and encouragement they need. We also hear about how your support is bringing hope and healing to the children of the persecuted church. And there’s news of Can You Believe It? – a new resource to inspire your church with amazing true-life stories of Faith, Hope and Love.
All the articles in this magazine can be read via the links below, or you can download the PDF.
- Letter from Lisa: Faithfulness
- Malaysia: Speak out for missing pastor Raymond Koh
- Indonesia: Victims of church bombings receive support
- South Sudan: Ten killed in attack on Christian college
- India: ‘20 per cent increase in atrocities against Christians’
- Chechnya: Church member killed in Islamic State attack
HASSAN: THE DOORS OF FRIENDSHIP
EYAL: COURAGE IN ERITREA
Secret children update: Wasihun from ethiopia
- Until 1 August you can book early bird tickets for Standing Strong - don't miss out!
- Order your free World Watch List Church Pack and wake up your church to extreme persecution.
- Find out how to leave a gift in your Will to support your persecuted church family.
- Order your free Can you believe it? pack and inspire your church with amazing true-life stories of faith, hope and love.
- Take on a challenge and raise vital support for your persecuted church family.
- Give to support your church family in the Horn of Africa - every £25 could put Bibles into the hands of five believers.
- Give to our Syria crisis appeal - every £42 could provide a month’s emergency food supplies for a displaced family in Syria with no other support.
Christians in Pakistan are increasingly isolated, marginalised and oppressed. And yet they have the courage to keep the light of faith alive. This issue features inspiring stories of the church in Pakistan, as well as a look at how your prayers and support are rebuilding homes in Iraq and supporting victims of so-called Islamic State in the Philippines.
Egypt’s hidden story: The girls who disappear
The rising violence against Christians in Egypt often hits the headlines, with church bombings by extremist groups becoming a horrifyingly regular occurrence. Less well known are the stories of the Christian girls who are kidnapped by Islamic extremists, often being groomed and lured into forced marriages. Find out how you can support your church family in Egypt in prayer and action. Also, read about how your support is keeping hope alive in the Middle East and training evangelists in Sudan.
How to survive in North Korea: Secrets, spies and standing firm
North Korea is the most dangerous place in the world to be a Christian. And yet, incredibly, the church in North Korea is growing – Open Doors estimates that there are 300,000 courageous believers in North Korea. In such an oppressive state, this should be impossible. How do they survive? Find out in this month’s magazine. Also, read an update on the Hope for the Middle East campaign, and find out about persecuted Christians who need your letters of encouragement.
Part of your family
Wasihun is an eleven-year-old boy from Oromia State in Western Ethiopia. In many ways, he is just like other children his age. He likes to play football, he helps his Mum with chores, and he plays with his siblings – he has eight brothers and sisters, so he’s never short of a playmate! He likes school too – he says, “I am happy to go to school. I have friends to play with and I love learning.”
Beauty for ashes: Hope for the Middle East campaign update from Iraq and Syria
Despite the attempts of Islamic extremists to wipe out the church in the Middle East, many of our brothers and sisters are determined to stay and shine as a light in the darkest of days. Read about how your prayers and support are helping to rebuild homes and lives in Iraq and Syria. Plus updates from our church family in Nigeria and Iran, and an interview with a pastor from Lebanon who will be speaking at Standing Strong.
India: Singled out but not alone
Christians in India are facing increasing levels of persecution, but many are coming to faith after experiencing miraculous healings, and imprisoned believers have been reaching their fellow prisoners with the gospel. Read about how your prayers and support are making an incredible difference to our Indian brothers and sisters. Plus updates on our church family in Bangladesh and Indonesia, and information on our new church resource Rebuilding Hope in Syria and Iraq.
Rebuilding hope for Christians in Syria and Iraq
Your support is keeping hope alive for our church family in Syria and Iraq in the darkest days. Find out how, by praying, giving and speaking out through the Hope for the Middle East campaign, you are helping our church family to begin to rebuild their homes, their lives, and their hope for the future. Plus updates from Pastor Behnam Irani from Iran, and our church family in northern Nigeria and Qatar.