As persecution increases, your family needs your support to keep faith and hope alive
Central African Republic
- Leader: President Faustin-Archange Touadera
- Population: 5.1 million (3.8 million Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam/Christianity (mainly Roman Catholic)
- Government: Republic
- World Watch List Rank: 34
- Source of Persecution: Islamic extremism
The country has yet to fully emerge from a civil war which was fought partly along religious lines. .
Violence against Christians is at a very high level. Although Islamist rebel group, Seleka, has now been driven out of many parts of the country, attacks against Christians continue in Bangui and the north-east, which is mainly populated by Muslims. Christians have been forced to flee from their villages and are denied access to farming fields. Large groups of Christians live in extremely poor conditions in refugee camps.
- For ex-Seleka rebels and Muslim Fulani herdsmen who continue to target Christians. Pray that their eyes will be opened to the truth of Jesus
- For wisdom and comfort for pastors ministering in the face great difficulties, that they can share this with others.
- For Open Doors partners providing trauma care and economic support to Christians targeted in the violence.
How we help
Open Doors has been involved with the church in CAR for a number of years. Since 2013 we have been have been supporting the church to provide emotional and physical relief to Christians targeted in the violent uprising by the Islamist rebel group, Seleka. This support includes:
- Training to strengthen believers facing persecution
- Enhanced discipleship training
- Economic empowerment programmes
- Trauma care and social rehabilitation for persecuted believers.