As persecution increases, your family needs your support to keep faith and hope alive
Leader: President Xi Jinping
Population: 1.4 billion (97 million Christians)
Main Religion: Atheism
World Watch List Rank: 33
Source of Persecution: Communist oppression
Persecution against Christians in China is so multifaceted that believers face a variety of challenges.
Christian converts from minority groups such as Tibetans and Muslim Uyghurs face the most opposition, from families and communities who pressure them to recant Christianity. But among the Han majority, Christians continue to face restrictions from the authorities. Church meetings are disrupted or stopped, and Christian lawyers defending churches from having their crosses forcibly removed have been imprisoned. Foreign influence in the fast-increasing Christian minority is seen as a threat to the Chinese government's nationalistic control.
- For Christian converts in volatile, ethnic minority regions where public meetings are restricted by the government, and where communities pressurise Christians to reconvert
- For Open Doors workers providing biblical and discipleship training to Muslim and Tibetan-background Christians
- For churches in Zhejiang province, where around 1,200 crosses were taken down between November 2014 and October 2015.
Open Doors in Action:
Open Doors is challenging the Han Chinese church to play their part in engaging the world with the persecuted church and take up her role in the worldwide body of Christ, too. Within China, the Han Chinese church is encouraged to support the most persecuted Christian groups in China, specifically Muslim and Tibetan-background believers. Open Doors supports the church in China through:
- Raising awareness of persecution among Chinese Christians
- Providing basic biblical and discipleship training to the most persecuted Christian groups, Muslim and Tibetan-background believers
- Distributing contextualised Christian literature to Muslim and Tibetan-background believers.
Listen to Eric and John
Open Doors worker Eric and Bible smuggler John talk about 'overcoming giants' in China. Recorded at the Greatest Adventure, the Open Doors UK 60th anniversary celebration in November 2015.