- Leader: President Joko Widodo
- Population: 263.5 million (31.9 million Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam
- Government: Republic
- World Watch List Rank: 46
- Source of Persecution: Islamic extremism/religious nationalism
Indonesia is known for its special form of moderate and diverse Islam, yet Islamic extremism has more influence than is commonly perceived.
Radical Islamic groups pose a significant danger to Christians and other religious minorities. Mass protests against Governor Ahok of Jakarta, a Chinese Christian, for alleged blasphemy brought over 200,000 people to the streets in 2016. Although expatriate and traditional Christian communities face little persecution, believers from a Muslim background (BMBs) come under pressure from family and friends. Non-traditional Protestant communities who evangelise face opposition from radical Islamic groups.
- For wisdom for the government in dealing with the growing extremist threat
- For BMBs who are heavily pressured to renounce their faith. Pray that they will have access to Bibles and Christian fellowship
- Indonesia is the largest Muslim country in the world. Pray that many Indonesian Muslims would come to know Christ.
KEEP HOPE ALIVE. PRAY. GIVE. SPEAK OUT.
How we help
Open Doors works alongside local churches and mission agencies to support persecuted believers in Indonesia through:
- Equipping and training believers with biblical responses to persecution and basic knowledge of Islam
- Facilitating gatherings to foster unity among churches and mission agencies
- Providing Bibles and other Christian literature, particularly for Muslim-background believers
- Providing assistance through socio-economic development projects
- Providing advocacy and immediate relief to victims of persecution.
LATEST NEWS FROM Indonesia:
There are currently no additional news stories