- Leader: President Joko Widodo
- Population: 263.5 million (31.9 million Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam
- Country fact sheet
Islamic pressure groups and conservative Muslim political parties are pushing for an Islamic nation, posing significant danger to Christians and other religious minorities.
On a more local level, radical Islamic leaders are able to mobilise hundreds of thousands of demonstrators on the streets in mass protests against Christians. Churches who are seen to be converting Muslims face opposition from extremist Islamic groups. Many converts from Islam experience isolation and verbal abuse because of their faith.
- For encouragement and a bright future for Christian children in public schools who are discriminated against in their grades
- For strength and courage for believers from a Muslim background who are pressured to renounce their faith
- For Christian congregations who cannot get planning permission for their church buildings.
How Open Doors helps
Open Doors works alongside local churches and mission agencies to support persecuted believers in Indonesia through:
- Equipping and training believers with biblical responses to persecution and basic knowledge of Islam
- Facilitating gatherings to foster unity among churches and mission agencies
- Providing Bibles and other Christian literature, particularly for Muslim-background believers
- Providing assistance through socio-economic development projects
- Providing advocacy and immediate relief to victims of persecution.
LATEST NEWS FROM
There are currently no additional news stories