As persecution increases, your family needs your support to keep faith and hope alive
- Leader: President Ashraf Ghani
- Population: 34.2 million (Thousands of Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam
- Government: Islamic republic
- World Watch List Rank: 3
- Source of Persecution: Islamic extremism/Ethnic antagonism
It is illegal for an Afghan person to be anything other than a Muslim.
Afghanistan is a tribal society, and leaving Islam is seen as a betrayal of the tribe. Discovered believers will sometimes be sent to a mental hospital, as families believe no sane person would leave Islam. Baptism is a crime punishable by death; several believers were killed in 2016 when their faith was discovered. The Taliban, a radical Islamist group, remains active in Afghanistan and targets those who leave Islam.
- For courage and protection for secret Afghan believers
- For change to take place within the country, and for openness to religions outside of Islam
- For stability and peace in Afghanistan.
How we help
In cooperation with local churches and other partnering ministries, Open Doors supports the church in Afghanistan through:
- Literacy training
- Vocational projects
- Emergency aid to victims of violent persecution
- Women's ministry
- Bible literacy
- Pastor's training
- Counselling and trauma therapy.