As persecution increases, your family needs your support to keep faith and hope alive
Printable sheet with key facts, figures, information and prayer points. Useful for your church noticeboard or prayer group.
Leader: Prime Minister Narendra Modi
Population: 1.3 billion (63 million Christians)
Main Religion: Hinduism
Government: Federal republic
World Watch List Rank: 17
Source of Persecution: Religious nationalism
WATCH MEENA AND SUNITA’s STORY
In this short film, Meena and Sunita describe the night they were beaten by Hindu extremists for choosing to follow Jesus, but prayed for God to forgive their persecutors, even as the attack was taking place.
GIVE TO HELP BELIEVERS IN INDIA STAND STRONG
Hundreds of our brothers and sisters have been violently attacked for their faith in Jesus this year alone. Your support can enable Open Doors partners to provide them with vital aid and long-term support.
The Indian constitution guarantees freedom of religion, but Christians in India are frequently denied this right. Write to the Indian High Commission and urge them to raise these concerns with the Indian government.
Persecution in India is extremely violent - and the violence is increasing.
More than 350 Christians were physically attacked, at least nine Christians were killed for their faith and at least three women were raped in the reporting year. Attacks mainly come from Hindu extremists, although extremist Muslims, Sikhs, Buddhists and Maoists have all targeted Christians. The Indian government, now led by Hindu nationalist party Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), is turning a blind eye to attacks against religious minorities, allowing Christians to be attacked with impunity.
- For protection for Christians - especially those who are active in sharing the gospel or have converted from Hinduism, who are frequently targeted
- For religious freedom in India - many states have introduced anti-conversion laws, and the BJP would like to introduce these on a national level
- For Open Doors staff supporting persecuted believers with urgent relief aid as well as long-term community development projects.
Open Doors in Action:
Open Doors is supporting the church in India through:
- Distribution of Bibles, Children's Bibles, training manuals and Sunday school materials to persecuted Christians
- Holistic training for pastors, church workers, women, youth, children and family groups
- Livelihood and community development, adult literacy programmes, bridge schooling for children, vocational education, and urgent aid and relief for persecuted Christians
- Advocacy support, legal seminars, and providing Rapid Action Teams in the field to help the victims of persecution.