As persecution increases, your family needs your support to keep faith and hope alive
Leader: Prime Minister Narendra Modi
Population: 1.3 billion (63 million Christians)
Main Religion: Hinduism
Government: Federal republic
World Watch List Rank: 17
Source of Persecution: Religious nationalism
Persecution in India is extremely violent - and the violence is increasing.
More than 350 Christians were physically attacked, at least nine Christians were killed for their faith and at least three women were raped in the reporting year. Attacks mainly come from Hindu extremists, although extremist Muslims, Sikhs, Buddhists and Maoists have all targeted Christians. The Indian government, now led by Hindu nationalist party Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), is turning a blind eye to attacks against religious minorities, allowing Christians to be attacked with impunity.
- For protection for Christians - especially those who are active in sharing the gospel or have converted from Hinduism, who are frequently targeted
- For religious freedom in India - many states have introduced anti-conversion laws, and the BJP would like to introduce these on a national level
- For Open Doors staff supporting persecuted believers with urgent relief aid as well as long-term community development projects.
Open Doors in Action:
Open Doors is supporting the church in India through:
- Distribution of Bibles, Children's Bibles, training manuals and Sunday school materials to persecuted Christians
- Holistic training for pastors, church workers, women, youth, children and family groups
- Livelihood and community development, adult literacy programmes, bridge schooling for children, vocational education, and urgent aid and relief for persecuted Christians
- Advocacy support, legal seminars, and providing Rapid Action Teams in the field to help the victims of persecution.