As persecution increases, your family needs your support to keep faith and hope alive
Printable sheet with key facts, figures, information and prayer points. Useful for your church noticeboard or prayer group.
Leader: President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita
Population: 18.1 million (527,000 Christians)
Main Religion: Islam
World Watch List Rank: 44
Source of Persecution: Islamic extremism
Normal church life is not yet possible in the north of Mali.
All Christian churches and buildings in the north were destroyed, damaged or looted during the Islamist takeover in 2012 - and many believers fled south for safety. It will take a long time to build a Christian presence again in the north. In the south, the general population is relatively tolerant of Christian gatherings but believers feel threatened by lingering Islamist movements. Violence has increased substantially due to terrorist attacks. Muslim-background believers also face violence from family members, including physical aggression and sometimes rape.
- For stable government to ensure safety and protection for Christians in a predominantly Muslim society
- For aggressive militant Islamists to be touched by the mercy and love of God
- For Open Doors partners strengthening the church through training for church leaders and new believers, literacy projects, Bible distribution and economic support.
Open Doors in Action:
In partnership with the local church, Open Doors is strengthening and supporting the church in Mali through:
- Training for pastors and believers, including: discipleship training, cross-cultural evangelism awareness, support to marginalised new believers, and Standing Strong Through the Storm seminars to prepare believers to deal with persecution
- Servant leadership development, including servant leadership training at Bible schools, Ministry skills training, Management training for church leaders
- Economic empowerment, including literacy training and economic support to pastors
- Bible distribution.