- Leader: President Uhuru Kenyatta
- Population: 48.5 million (39.4 million Christians)
- Main Religion: Christianity
- Country fact sheet
Dozens of Christians were killed by the militant Islamic group al-Shabaab last year, some of whom were beheaded.
Al-Shabaab is based in neighbouring Somalia, but the militants frequently carry out attacks over the border in the north-east and coastal areas of Kenya. Many Christians from these areas have fled to other places. These areas have traditionally been Muslim, and those who come to faith in Jesus could also be attacked by their families and communities.
- For comfort and healing for those who have been traumatised by violent attacks, and protection for Christians against further attacks
- That God would change the hearts of members of al-Shabaab and turn them to himself
- For wisdom and protection for Christians in the political arena as they face growing secularism within Kenya.
How Open Doors helps
Open Doors has been working in Kenya through local partners and churches since the early 2000s, offering support to churches in the volatile Islam-dominated northeastern border and coastal regions. Open Doors assists in the following areas:
- Cross-cultural evangelism and discipleship training
- Economic empowerment
- Leadership and management training for church leaders
- Trauma care training.
LATEST NEWS FROM
There are currently no additional news stories